Stories about the Cedar Point Mill help us all understand the significance of this beautiful structure. Shared memories of the mill add substance and give meaning to the community of folks who appreciate the old mill. We invite you to give us your thoughts and memories of the Cedar Point Mill. We will also use this Blog to keep everyone posted on restoration developments ranging from fundraising to construction budgets.
PETER P. SHRIVER, of the firm of Drinkwater & Shriver, millers, Cedar Point, was born in Yorktown, Pa., in May 1845. He was brought up on a farm in his native county, where he resided until September, 1864, when he enlisted as a private in Company D, Third Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteer Cavalry; was assigned to the Cavalry Division, Army of the Potomac, and participated in the campaign of Petersburg and Richmond and the pursuit and capitulation of Lees army. He was mustered out in May, 1865, at Richmond, Va. He then returned to Pennsylvania and remained until the spring of 1867, when he removed to Elkart County, Ind., where he remained one year and then came to Kansas. He located at Cedar Point in the spring of 1868 and engaged in the milling business with O. H. Drinkwater. They erected a frame mill that year, which they operated until 1876, when they replaced it with a substantial stone mill three stories in height, with a capacity of seventy-five barrels per day, and are doing a general exchange and merchant business. Source: Tom Thompson, Strong City.
For the first time in 112 years, the south facade of the Cedar Point Mill can be viewed. A current picture is attached. The beautiful cut stone face of the mill has been hidden by the granary added in 1903. So we now see the keystone, which we were able to photograph in the rafters of the granary to use as a part of our logo. We also see the pediment over the front door, which reads: “Wyoming Mills” with two small images of grinding stones on either side. So the mystery arises. Wyoming? As it turns out, both Drinkwater and Schriver were from Pennsylvania. The Wyoming Valley around Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania has been a center for grist mills since the early 1700s. Schriver, an experienced miller, was recruited by Drinkwater to come and help him with the mill in Cedar Point. We continue our search, but the Wyoming connection appears to coming into focus. It could have been a design and outfitting package Schriver brought with him from Pennsylvania. Maybe a franchise, as the ads in newspapers surrounding Cedar Point specifically mentioned “The Wyoming Mills”. The attached image appeared in the Marion County Record August 16, 1878.